You want to build a website and have chosen the Shopify eCommerce platform; now, that's not all. Once you have decided on this eCommerce platform, you need to know about the Shopify pricing plan to understand how it will suit your budget and be profitable for your business.
This article will discuss the eCommerce giant, Shopify, and its pricing packages to help you better understand the platform.
Shopify offers several powerful features and affordable templates, and the packages vary depending on your store size and requirements.
So, how much does it cost to build a Shopify website? Let's find out.
How Much Does It Cost to Build a Shopify Website?
Before we move on to the Shopify platform pricing and other details, it is essential to understand the factors determining the cost of building an eCommerce website. Here are some of these:
- Design – There are differences between the cost of custom design and template. Shopify pricing will differ accordingly.
- Functionality – Customized functionality comprises unique features that potentially increase the price of website building.
- SEO and Marketing – A robust marketing plan boosts the cost of building an eCommerce website, while SEO is crucial for driving traffic and increasing sales in eCommerce.
- eCommerce Company Selection – Choosing an expert and experienced eCommerce company costs a little more but is worth it. The more experienced the team is, the more developed your Shopify eCommerce website will be.
Once you know the determining factors, let us see how Shopify pricing is defined and how much it costs to design a fully functional eCommerce website.
A Guide to Shopify Website Development Costs
While Shopify is one of the most popular CMS in the eCommerce world, the cost of building one is frequently asked.
A typical Shopify website with average functionality costs around $3000 to $6000 to build. The inclusions in the package are:
- Website Hosting (up to 1 year)
- Professionally written content
- A five-field contact form
- eCommerce website design accommodating 30 products
Remember that the cost and functionalities mentioned above are for the basic eCommerce websites. The price will increase for improved design quality and additional functionalities such as an advanced eCommerce checkout. You cannot rule out the recurring website maintenance costs either.
As an estimate, a full-fledged eCommerce Shopify website with a stellar design and outstanding features costs you somewhere between $7000 to $12000. Such a package will include:
- Website Hosting
- Product Catalog
- Email Marketing (Mailchimp)
- Payment Gateways (Custom)
- Advanced Products Filter
- Abandoned Cart Feature
- Emails and Invoices
- Professionally Written Content
While an essential Shopify website does great for eCommerce startups, it is advisable to go for the high-end package if the budget permits. This is because investing in Shopify is worthwhile in the long run.
How Much Does Shopify Website Design Cost?
The prices of the Shopify website design vary depending on the features and functionalities you choose.
For reference, a web design agency charges you around $500 to $1000 for a basic Shopify web design. However, you must note that these are the costs of using standard templates.
If you hire a mid-tier web design agency, the costs will go from $1000 to $1200. These mid-level packages are fine, but hiring a top-notch Shopify store design is the best way.
This is because design plays a critical role in how eCommerce works. The more attractive your eCommerce store is, the higher will be the audience acceptance. Also, you will eventually need to upgrade your design to accommodate more products as your Shopify store expands.
For the top-notch Shopify website design, the cost can be between $1500 to $5000.
What Are the Shopify Pricing Plans?
Apart from the development and design costs, there's a recurring cost to run Shopify stores.
Typically, there are three main Shopify plans that you can opt for.
- Basic Shopify Plan: $29 monthly (2.9% + 30¢ per online transaction.)
- Shopify Plan: $79 monthly (2.6% + 30¢ per transaction.)
- Advance Shopify Plan: $299 monthly (2.4% + 30¢ per transaction.)
Note that the other Shopify variants, such as the Shopify Plus and Shopify Lite, are offered at $2000 per month and $9 per month, respectively.
Examples of Calculating the Shopify Website Development Costs
So, now you are aware of the unique Shopify design and development costs and also the factors determining the price of building a Shopify store.
Here are some examples of how to calculate the costs based on the size of your store.
- Apps: Mailchimp (Essentials) – $11/month, Tidio (Communicator Plan) – $15/month, ShipStation (Bronze Plan) – $29/month
- Theme: Editions – $150
- Apps: Mailchimp (Standard) – $17/month, Tidio (Communicator Plan) – $15/month, ShipStation (Gold Plan) – $69/month
- Theme: Custom/Any paid theme
- Apps: Mailchimp (Premium) – $299/month, Tidio (Chatbots Plan) – $39/month, ShipStation (Enterprise Plan) – $159/month.
- Theme: Custom
Shopify Website Development Costs Takeaways
No doubt, compared to several other platforms, Shopify gives value for money. It is more convenient for first-time eCommerce store owners with little knowledge about designing and developing a website.
The costs of building a Shopify website vary widely, so you must choose what best suits your budget and unique requirements.